Group: Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter/AdministratEAR
Joined: Aug. 2001
||Posted: May 22, 2003 7:53 am/pm
Yoo Hoo, Disney EchoEars!
Here's what Carol posted on rec.arts.disney ( before ".parks" was added to it! ) on October 24, 1994:
By Carol Koster
I've visited WDW by myself. The occasion was when my husband was attending a professional convention. We had been active on computer nets for several months, and I was fairly well versed on WDW by then. I had a blast! I never felt I was alone! I had hundreds of people whose posts I'd read in my mind. They were there before me, and I was retracing their steps, seeing through their eyes, and I knew I'd be posting information for them to read and enjoy about my trip. Also, when you think about it, there are cast members and other visitors there too. You are there with many like-minded people of your own age.
What you need are some local kindred spirits!
- 1) Consider going to the next DL r.a.d.-meet! You will have a marvelous time! The date is Sunday, December 4th [NOTE: This was in 1994!], and they tend to gather at the Goofy statue near the Partners statue in the Central Hub (does that make sense?) at High Noon! They go out to eat together, ride rides together, yak yak yak Disney together, they watch parades and Fantasmic! together and pretty much spend at least the afternoon together if not into the night together. Don't worry that you haven't met any of them before. These are a very friendly and decent group of people, r.a.d. luminaries and r.a.d. lurkers, bringing Significant Others and family with them, all ages. You will have r.a.d. and Disney in common! You will have plenty to talk about! We have attended two similar "flesh-meets" at WDW, and I promise you, Jeanine, you will have a wonderful time!
- 2) Consider joining one of the chapters of the National Fantasy Fan Club for Disneyana Collectors and Enthusiasts (NFFC). This is a national club for anyone who likes Disney and collects just about anything Disney. Contact them at www.nffc.org. Annual dues are $20 for individuals or families. They throw a terrific annual convention in Anaheim every July and a mini-con in January, and you get an excellent newsy monthly newsletter. Your membership in the national organization allows you to be a member of any of the NFFC's various local chapters. There's lots of local chapters in Southern California, the best known probably the Chapter at the Park in Anaheim. The NFFC can provide you with a list of local chapters to look into joining, or they can provide you with information on how to form a chapter of your own! You will meet lots of Disney fans who are just like you: They love Disney and are not afraid to tell the world about it, and are happy to meet other Disney fans. They visit DL frequently. There is an NFFC chapter in Australia and an electronic chapter on Prodigy and Delphi online computer services, which hold meetings live online.
- 3) There's always rec.arts.disney! Lots of people who post here have been to Disneyland, or work there. You can relive your fond memories, or air your gripes, with people all over the world who share your affection for Disney and know exactly what you are talking about. And we are always here, whenever you want to flip your computer and modem on.
Hope this helps!
--Carol Koster ()~() email@example.com
FDC Walk-Around Minnie Mouse (_) (Fidonet: Address replies to
1994 FDC Rookie of the Year Rich Koster at 1:390/5.10)
"....Scourge of Whispering Canyon..." --Graham Allan, Dis' 'n' Dat,
October 1994, Volume 2 Number 10, Page 6 "A Life in the Day of
* "Did you kill 7, at one blow?" "Heh-heh. Yes, your honor, And How!"
* "Well, how?" "I was all alone. I heard 'em coming. I looked up --
* "and I was surrounded!" "Yes?" "They were here, there -- everywhere!
* "A whole bunch of 'em!" "Hmmm!" "They came at me from the right,
* "from the left, right, left, left, right!" "Yes, yes! Go on!"
* "They were comin' closer. The fight was on. I swung and missed!
* "I missed and swung! I swung again and again and again! They were
* "right on top of me." "And then?" "And then, I let 'em have it!"
* -The King & Mickey, in The Brave Little Tailor *&* at Disney-MGM Studios
RichKoster, Disney Echo modEARator