Forum Search Button Mouseke-Calendar Forum Memberlist Button ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
This is the Vault: Disney Echo archives. The new Disney Echo is now open!
...Now accepting registration for new members...

» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! ]

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: MickEmail this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: D-MGM Magic of Disney Animation rehab, Closed Sept. 30-Nov. 23, 2003< Next Oldest | Next Newest >

RichKoster Offline

ModEARator

Group: Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter/AdministratEAR
Posted: July 13, 2003 12:09 am/pm Quote

Yoo Hoo, Disney EchoEars!

At the Disney-MGM Studios, the Magic of Disney Animation attraction will be closed for a rehab September 14, 2003 - November 17, 2003. UPDATE: September 30, 2003 - November 23, 2003

Get their before Sept. 14th to say goodbye to Robin Williams & Walter Cronkite in the movie there, because that and the other movie in the tour will be history.
:punched:

Reports are that the entire attraction will be revamped. There will be a new show similar to the one at Disney's California Adventure where a CM "Animator" interacts with Mushu on a screen. The tour part of the revamped attraction will become a self-guided tour similar to D-MGM's "One Man's Dream" attraction.

--------------
RichKoster, Disney Echo modEARator
Profile PM WEB MSN YIM 

dizneluver9 Offline

Disabilities/Special Needs message forum modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: Aug. 30, 2003 12:09 am/pm Quote

I know one of the issues that CM faced at the Animation tour was guests using their still cameras and video cameras while on the tour...since the old tour could include watching CM/animators working they didnt want any "secrets" to get out....

Is that going to be a problem with the new self tour and will there be CM around to answer guest questions....will we see the animators work?

--------------
Kelly D./dizneluver9 <>< :D  :flag2: :music: for RAD
Disney Echo Disabilities/Special Needs message forum modEARator
first cruise on DCL Wonder Sept. 4-7, 2003..had a BLAST!

Former DS CM, Former Radio Disney CM, Former WDW OP CM

Profile PM AOL 

RichKoster Offline

ModEARator

Posted: Aug. 30, 2003 4:29 am/pm Quote

I've heard a rumor that you won't actually see a Disney animator in a one-on-one setting anymore. I hope Disney isn't planning on laying off so many animators from the Florida studio that there won't be any to see even through the glass into their studio work area.

The latest rehab date from Disney is now September 30, 2003 - November 23, 2003.

--------------
Profile PM WEB MSN YIM 

DisneyWidower Offline

Disney EchoEar Regular

EchoEar PipEchoEar PipEchoEar Pip

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 30, 2003 9:24 am/pm Quote

Not to scare anyone -- but have heard many rumors regarding the state of the 2d feature studios -- you won't see animators behind the glass NOT because of privacy issues or tourists videptaping them, but more for the fact that there WON'T BE any animators.

**** Simply RUMOR so don't quote me ... but ...**** From what I've heard, the few remaining 2d artists (in LA and Florida) were training in 3d and competing for jobs in the CG departments. Those not getting the 3d jobs are unfortunately living on borrowed time. With no 2d features lined up to begin work on, there's no need for the large number of artists Disney used to employ.

Unfortunately money, not art drives this business. Movies are made to get a return on investment -- and currently the market is for 3d animated films. This fact saddens me for 2 reasons:

Firstly, I work in the business and trained as a classical animator -- it is very very satisfying work -- a career that I hoped to have for as long as I could hold a pencil.

Secondly, A good movie is a good movie regardless of the medium. Casablanca is just fine in Black and white thank-you very much, and I could watch Pinnochio or (dare I say) Iron Giant any day of the week. It's the story and the art direction that hold my interest.

3d doesn't automatically guarantee a success -- there are MANY stinkers -- take ANTZ for example or any of the dozens of 3d television shows.  But just like Walt in the good ol' days it's Pixar's vision for story and entertainment that have allowed it to make a blockbuster every time out of the gate.

That being said, I truly believe that Finding Nemo would have been just as good a movie had it been hand drawn -- it just wouldn't have made $300 million or more at the box office. People want to see the new cutting edge technology.

Don't get me wrong -- I don't hate or even resent 3d animation -- it is an incredible tool in the hands of brilliant film makers -- it's just as valid a tool as the pencil was in it's day. In fact I start my 3d Maya training this month.

I'm just sad that the pencil is being forgotten.

Hopefully a few will keep the torch lit and 2d will see some regeneration. I hope that Brother Bear or Home on the Range aren't the last we see from the mouse.

Sorry to rant off topic -- but --- a little close to the heart.

For more info about the state of Animation please go to

Suspended Animation

Also -- Before "The Incredibles" comes out and knocks everybody's socks off, take the time to watch Iron Giant -- a fabulous movie by the same man  -- Brad Bird -- pure genius -- partially responsible for the Simpsons too.

Oh -- and if anyone on here works in or knows anyone in the Florida studio and can shed some more light please let me know.

--------------
Mark / DisneyWidower
Profile PM 

dizneluver9 Offline

Disabilities/Special Needs message forum modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: Aug. 31, 2003 10:34 am/pm Quote

its sad but I know of atleast one animation CM whose daughter I took care of that has taken the severence package and is trying her hand at being a stay at home mom.

Where are all the animators going to be working then???

--------------
Kelly D./dizneluver9 <>< :D  :flag2: :music: for RAD
Disney Echo Disabilities/Special Needs message forum modEARator
first cruise on DCL Wonder Sept. 4-7, 2003..had a BLAST!

Former DS CM, Former Radio Disney CM, Former WDW OP CM

Profile PM AOL 

DisneyWidower Offline

Disney EchoEar Regular

Posted: Aug. 31, 2003 10:55 am/pm Quote

Where are all the animators going to be working then???

We're learning new trades.

Personally, I love being a part of the whole movie-making process. If I can't be drawing, I want to be involved in some other aspect.

That's why I'm taking 3d computer training. I'm also getting involved in writing, storyboarding and directing -- jobs that are necessary regardless of the type of film.

Many artists are abandoning the industry altogether. Of my fellow colleagues a couple are now cabinet-makers and one is a firefighter/EMT-in training.

I've been very fortunate to keep my job in animation -- an industry that has been on a steady downturn for years. I'm hoping to use my talents in other areas ( web design for one ) if/when the axe falls my way.

'Til then I'll be slugging away.

--------------
Mark / DisneyWidower
Profile PM 

RichKoster Offline

ModEARator

Posted: Aug. 31, 2003 11:21 am/pm Quote

There is an increased use of animatics (animated storyboards) in Hollywood film production, so maybe some can make the transition to this if not also learning 3D animation for on-screen production use.

--------------
Profile PM WEB MSN YIM 

JEANYLASER Offline

Disney EchoEar Regular

Warn Level Graphic 4
Posted: Sep. 03, 2003 11:34 am/pm Quote

:sorcerer:  :bowdown: i am sad that magic of disney animation would have robin and walter i hope that the magic of  animation will finish before mickey's 75th birthday.

--------------
Jeany / JEANYLASER
Profile PM WEB MSN YIM 

RichKoster Offline

ModEARator

Posted: Sep. 10, 2003 1:27 am/pm Quote

wdwmagic.com has more details about the upcoming animation tour update.

The Animation Tour at D-MGM is set to close on September 30, 2003 (reopening - November 24, 2003) for some significant changes to the tour, and general rehab work on the building. The new tour will begin by visiting Drawn to Animation, which will feature a live animator, who will interact with Mushu  on screen, and with members of the audience. Next up will be the self guided tour through Feature Animation. Finally guest will enter the Animation Academy, where they can create their own art, under the supervision of a real Disney aniamtor.

Work on the building includes lots of repainting, new carpets, lighting etc.

--------------
Profile PM WEB MSN YIM 

RichKoster Offline

ModEARator

Posted: Sep. 29, 2003 11:04 am/pm Quote

Back to the drawing board

The September 29th issue of the Orlando Sentinel discusses the changes being made to the animation tour at the Disney-MGM Studios and the dropping of the Back to Neverland film.

Full details.

Click "reply" now to discuss the changes at the animation tour, or click here and then click reply to discuss the other changes coming to WDW mentioned in the article.

--------------
Profile PM WEB MSN YIM 
9 replies since July 13, 2003 12:09 am/pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: MickEmail this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Featured Sponsors of the Disney Echo:
>
Your Ad Here!
Disney Ink Shop

© 2007 Rich Koster & FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club & Disney Echo. The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of the Walt Disney Co. All participants are welcome. We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Co., so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. The words & phrases "Disney Echo," "Disney EchoEars," "EchoEars," and "MousekeEars" are ©2007 Rich Koster.
Our Privacy Statement

Get FREE FANtasEARS MickEmail
Get FREE MickEmail And Hear Mickey's EarMail!

A Proud Member of

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!
Disney.comFANtasEARS Disney Fan
Club The pages and images on this web site are ©2007 Rich Koster, except for Disney Character images & logos copyrighted by The Walt Disney Co.
All rights reserved.