Forum Search Button Mouseke-Calendar Forum Memberlist Button ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
This is the Vault: Disney Echo archives. The new Disney Echo is now open!
...Now accepting registration for new members...

» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! ]

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: MickEmail this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Thurs. 4/17/03: Our Journey Begins - WDW at Easter, Pt.1: Koster trip report: WDW 4/17-22/03< Next Oldest | Next Newest >

RichKoster Offline

ModEARator

Group: Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter/AdministratEAR
Posted: May 04, 2003 9:21 am/pm Quote

Thurs. 4/17/03: Part One

Our Journey Begins - WDW at Easter

Koster trip report: WDW 4/18/-4/22/03

Our family had a great time on our Easter WDW trip:
  • Rich (me), 49 turning 50, 20+ trips to WDW (2nd time at Polynesian Resort this trip), 2 trips to Disneyland
  • Carol (wife), 49, 20+ trips to WDW (2nd time at Polynesian Resort this trip), 3 trips to Disneyland
  • Michael (son), 7, 5 times at WDW, first time at Polynesian
Travelling: Our Journey began 4/17/03, driving from home in our Minnie-Van, and we arrived home 4/23/03.

Lodging: We stayed at the Marianna, FL Hampton Inn on the way, 2 nights at Disney's Polynesian Resort, 2 nights at Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort, and the Ocala, FL La Quinta Inn on the way back. Special requests: Due to allergies we require no feather pillows, for the Polynesian Resort we also noted that we'd be celebrating my upcoming 50th birthday during our vacation, and requested the marina side of Fiji on the third floor. We got what we requested: Fiji room 3313.

Highlights of our trip: I-10 being shut down due to an accident and our detour along the MS gulf coast; Annual Pass activation at the Disney Information Center in Ocala, FL; the great view in our room and the birthday surprise at the Polynesian; our first time at the great volcano pool; getting a special preview of Pal Mickey before he was officially available and enjoying him in the Magic Kingdom; Kona Café with Marta & Bruce Metcalf for breakfast; Michael's first ride on Star Tours; meeting Lilo & Stitch at D-MGM as well as a surprise visit from then at the Polynesian's Easter Egg Hunt; birthday meals at 50's Prime-Time & Sci-Fi Dine In; Rich's first ride on RnRC and "4" version of ToT; our first visit to One Man's Dream; dinner at Boma; Ghosts of the Abyss in 3D at Downtown Disney; Kennedy Space Center; POFQ serpent slide pool & hot tub; hopping to 3 parks in one day on our last day!; Disney's Animal Kingdom on its anniversary (Earth Day) with a media event going on there; our first time at ITTBAB; walking through DAK's backstage; trying the Beverly drink at Epcot; American Vybe giving us a big helping of Disney Magic at the American Adventure; and staying WAY too late at the Magic Kingdom before starting our drive home.

Introduction

Whew! It was crowded at Walt Disney World for Easter week. As my wife says, no one's afraid of any terrorism behind the berm! It was the first time we had ever gone to WDW during Easter after having seen so many telecasts from there on Easter Sunday mornings in years past. We had a lot of fun, but oh, our sore feet. This was the first trip for us in which it was crowded enough to need to use FastPass a lot and we found you can be doing a lot of extra walking to get your FastPass, then walking somewhere else to ride or shop, then walking back to use the FastPass. But it really helped out with handling the long lines at this high-attendance season, though.

Thursday, 4/17/03: Our Journey Begins
o/~ "I'm going to Disney World" o/~

We picked up our 7-year-old son Michael right after school in our pre-packed Honda Odyssey Minnie-van.
;)
We played the cassette we taped years ago when Disney ran an AM radio station that we'd listen to while driving to WDW along I-75 south towards Ocala, Florida. I had the tape cued to the start of the "I'm going to Disney World!" song, and we sang along and then heard all about the exciting things WDW had in store for us, including Epcot '94. Hey, I said it was an old tape! Once we got on the interstate we tuned in Radio Disney (not to be confused with "Disney Radio" which is what that late, lamented but defunct radio station on our cassette was called) on AM 1450 from New Orleans and headed down the highway. After leaving Louisiana our plans changed because of a detour on I-10 just east of the Gulfport outlet mall. A traffic fatality shut down all of I-10 to eastbound traffic. It meant a 2 1/2 hour stop-and-go detour to us on Highway 90 along the Mississippi gulf coast, but we were thankful we weren't involved in the accident and took the opportunity to enjoy the view of the water while stopping for burgers at Wendy's. Luckily our Hampton Inn reservations in Marianna, FL held a room for us even though we arrived much later than expected (around 10-10:30 pm) due to the delay from the accident. We all drifted off to sleep after watching Dave Letterman's Top Ten List.

On to Part Two!

--------------
RichKoster, Disney Echo modEARator
Profile PM WEB MSN YIM 

RichKoster Offline

ModEARator

Posted: May 04, 2003 9:48 am/pm Quote

On this trip we also were lucky enough to experience Pal Mickey!
:Oo:

Be sure to see out our review of Pal Mickey here
:buttrock:

--------------
Profile PM WEB MSN YIM 

RichKoster Offline

ModEARator

Posted: May 06, 2003 3:10 am/pm Quote

I wonder if anyone has a file of that "I'm going to Disney World" song?

--------------
Profile PM WEB MSN YIM 

RichKoster Offline

ModEARator

Posted: May 08, 2003 4:34 am/pm Quote

I guess I'm going to have to digitize the song myself if nobody else has it!

--------------
Profile PM WEB MSN YIM 

Tink Offline

Disney EchoEar Regular

EchoEar PipEchoEar PipEchoEar Pip

Group: Members
Posted: May 19, 2003 4:25 am/pm Quote

Thanks for the tip on the radio station. I drive that way from Texas.

--------------
Gail / Tink
Only 16 days till I am back.
Profile PM 

RichKoster Offline

ModEARator

Posted: May 19, 2003 4:30 am/pm Quote

Yoo Hoo, Tink!

Thanks for the tip on the radio station. I drive that way from Texas.

You mean Radio Disney, right? You can check where local stations are for each state at radiodisney.com.

Disney Radio, the now-defunct station we used to listen to north of Ocala, is kinda hard to pick up now.
:wink2:

--------------
Profile PM WEB MSN YIM 
5 replies since May 04, 2003 9:21 am/pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: MickEmail this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Featured Sponsors of the Disney Echo:
>
Your Ad Here!
Disney Ink Shop

© 2007 Rich Koster & FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club & Disney Echo. The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of the Walt Disney Co. All participants are welcome. We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Co., so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. The words & phrases "Disney Echo," "Disney EchoEars," "EchoEars," and "MousekeEars" are ©2007 Rich Koster.
Our Privacy Statement

Get FREE FANtasEARS MickEmail
Get FREE MickEmail And Hear Mickey's EarMail!

A Proud Member of

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!
Disney.comFANtasEARS Disney Fan
Club The pages and images on this web site are ©2007 Rich Koster, except for Disney Character images & logos copyrighted by The Walt Disney Co.
All rights reserved.